AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Mar 9th, 2013 06:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Joe Kelley
Administrator

Mana: 
NEW QUOTE:

Thank you for allowing Bookmasters the opportunity to provide an estimate for your printing project.  According to the specifications submitted and/or our comparable capabilities, house stock, etc., your estimate is as follows:

Quantity: 25
Trim size: 5 1/2  X 8 1/2
Page count:174

Text:  Prints black on 50# white paperstock
Cover:  4-color process on 12pt. C1S with gloss UV
Binding: Perfect

Estimate:   $95.87

Please keep in mind that INCLUDED with the price above is a $50.00 New Title set up fee. If you choose to run a reprint of the same title within a 3 month period, the new title set up fee will not apply to those.

You will need two PRINT READY PDF files, one for your covers & spine and one for your text. What you send to us is what we will print.

We offer Distribution to retail outlets, Marketing packages, ISBN’s, Copyright/LOC, and Barcodes, eBooks, eBook distribution and Composition services as well! If you would like to get more information on these services, please contact me directly!

We look forward to hearing from you and assisting you with your printing project.

My reply:

I went here:

https://www.bookmasters.com/pmlayout.html

That is like reading Greek to me. I can go to Word, to Page Layout, to Size, and customize the size of the Word Document, apparently. Then I can go to something called "book fold". That option in Word folds each page.

Going to your layout web page I find a sample .pdf file for 5.5 x 8.5 and in the effort to open that file with MS Word there is a demand for selecting encoding. I had this idea of then using the settings from the sample .pdf 5.5 x 8.5, using the program MS Word, to apply those sample settings to the already existing book written with MS Word, but MS Word opens the sample .pdf 5.5 x 8.5 file and displays text that looks like code.

I can open the sample .pdf 5.5 x 8.5 file with the program Adobe Reader and find a 5.5 x 8.5 Sample page of a book, not text that looks like code.

I am in need of help, a missing link to the right program, or an MS Word template, or a clue.

I have no clue at this point, but I can keep on looking. 

Joe

I will print my first book and market it, but since this is my first book I need a trial run of copies to hand out and use as feedback on any remaining errors, or any revisions that may help catch the readers interest. If you can offer suggestions on a more economical proofing of the text, which is now a Word file, before spending any costs on printing, please let me know how better to go about printing this book. I need help at this point.

I sent that to this:

Book Masters

3/11/2013 cut and pasted from e-mail
Thank you for allowing Bookmasters the opportunity to provide an estimate for your printing project.  According to the specifications submitted and/or our comparable capabilities, house stock, etc., your estimate is as follows:

Quantity: 10
Trim size: 4 3/4 X 7
Page count: 172

Cover:  4-color process on 12pt. C1S with gloss UV coating
Binding:  Perfect

Estimate:   $88.35

Please keep in mind that INCLUDED with the price above is a $50.00 New Title set up fee. If you choose to run a reprint of the same title within a 3 month period, the new title set up fee will not apply to those.

You will need two PRINT READY PDF files, one for your covers & spine and one for your text. What you send to us is what we will print.

We offer Distribution to retail outlets, Marketing packages, ISBN’s, Copyright/LOC, and Barcodes, eBooks, eBook distribution and Composition services as well! If you would like to get more information on these services, please contact me directly!

We look forward to hearing from you and assisting you with your printing project.

Elizabeth Gilman/ Account Executive
egilman@bookmasters.com

Bookmasters, Inc. 30 Amberwood Parkway/ P.O. Box 388/ Ashland, Ohio 44805

1-888-537-6727 ext 1118 Check out our new website! http://www.bookmasters.com

Thank you.  Have a great day!

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Sat Mar 9th, 2013 10:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
kurtwaters

Mana: 
The link brings me to a web page from which I know not how to proceed.

Posted: Sun Mar 10th, 2013 06:11 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Joe Kelley
Administrator

Mana: 
I clicked on contact, entered my Hotmail e-mail address, the contact form did not recognize the e-mail address.
I have a book already written. I want to discuss ideas concerning how I want the book printed, and I’ve looked at a competitor in the book printing business, but they have not responded yet, so here is my second stop on the shopping path.
How do I get personal questioned answered as to what will be my book when it is published?

Second contact attempt at Printing

Posted: Sun Mar 10th, 2013 06:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Joe Kelley
Administrator

Mana: 
Mike,

I have the book, it is ready to print a prototype in hard copy (paper back) and then send out some copies to then get feedback on possible improvements before going into the e-book marketing stage.

This Forum Topic is for documenting my progress, which is basically why I started this Forum in the first place: progress in learning not necessarily book publishing.

I have not figured out how to keep my "hotmail" from taking my notices of activity on this forum, dumping those notices of activity on the forum into the "junk mail" bin, so the potential for me to miss a response by you exists in that way. I see now that you replied here, but only after I went here to add another step in the book path.

Jack sent me a 100 dollar bill, which is my first donation (I won't call it "income" for fear of then having the IRS target me) from someone as someone donates to my cause of knowing better - in Liberty.

I had this idea about book publishing, in print form, and Vicki expanded on that idea, and it involves those "bar codes", hold on I have to look for the right words...

as qr code

Ass queer code?

Am I funny sometimes?

Posted: Tue Mar 12th, 2013 03:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Joe Kelley
Administrator

Mana: 
Reply to Print Masters:

I want to order at least a 10 book prototype run, but I have some questions and ideas concerning how the book is printed.

Currently the book is Web Based, as it includes HTML code links to Web Pages that are relevant to the information in the book. My question has to do with the method of printing those URL links on paper, and I have some ideas if you do not have ideas, or methods, of printing those URLs on paper.

I sent a request for service in printing to your competitor, but they have not yet responded.

If I can resolve this issue of how the URLs will be printed, I then need to know how to alter, or format, the current form of the book, which is an MS Word file. If the URL link idea works, and I then have a better idea as to what the book will be on paper, I may want to bump the prototype number up to 50 books that will be used for feedback before finalizing a larger printing, and before moving then to marketing in digital markets such as Kindle/Amazon whatever.

Joe

Posted: Tue Mar 12th, 2013 06:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Joe Kelley
Administrator

Mana: 
Response from Print Masters

Dear Joe,

You could try italicizing and underlining that word then including a QR code at the bottom for tech savy individuals, and maybe for those that are tech challenged a glossary in the back with directions or the actual written out link for people to plug into their form of technology.

My response:

That sounds like a good workable solution. But to be more specific as to the step by step process, what do I do now?

I have the MS Word file, it is currently formatted as a Microsoft Word Document, can be saved as .pdf, Rich Text, according to the MS Word program.

My guess is that conversion to HTML code, using some editor program, would allow me to replace the current text that spells out the URL (http:http://www.etc.) with a Text Label of the Web page on that printed page, along with a footnote number. HTML code, as far as I know, is the stuff needed to access digital markets like Kindle/Amazon.

The back page of the book could have a QR Code that loads a Web Page where all the links are linked according to the labels in the printed book corresponding with the Web Page.

I also have a cover .pdf file; which is a picture of a drawing, a portrait of me, done by my daughter.

Does your company offer web page space as a part of marketing? I eventually need to figure out how to advertize from my own Web Page, and offer links to Paypal purchases, Bitcoin, etc.

The competition, as I'm sure you know, is fierce in these new areas of communication, so I'm seeking a lot more help than merely having a few prototype books to have in my hand and to hand out to other people, to see then if there is a market for the information I have to offer other people.

I need to open my current book file, replace all the links with a text description of the Web Page, a number or footnote to each Web Page being referred to, create a QR code, and I suppose it will help to even have an index at the back of the book that does list the actual URL text in case someone wants to type out all those symbols, and I would need to create a web page to publish on the internet (I have Power-Independence.com domain), send that edited file to you, in the correct format, send the digital photo which is the basis for the cover, or send my .pdf file of the cover with the basic Photo editing Text of the title, etc., and then you print 10 copies for the price quoted, or I can at that point add more copies?

I'm and old guy not finding it easy to learn new tricks.

Joe

Posted: Tue Mar 12th, 2013 06:40 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Joe Kelley
Administrator

Mana: 
Response:

I only have answers to some of your questions at this time….(see orig. in red)   what we accept for printing….   SPECS:   ·        
You will need to make sure that the fonts are embedded (usually during creating/saving as press quality pdf stage)
·        

any images contained within the book need to be at least 150 dpi or higher (300 DPI is preferable) unless it is line art then the highest DPI you can send is the best. 

Line art should be saved at 600 DPI.
·        

Margins- At least 0.375" margins from text to the edge of the page (top, bottom, left, right) unless there is a bleed.
·        

For bleeds (pictures or graphics that run to the very edge or off the page) you will need to have 0.125" past the trim edge.   
·        

If the spine is less than 0.125" there can be no text on the spine. 
·        

Gutter: .50” from Gutter- some go as high as .75”
·        

Covers need to be one file, front-spine-back laid out in the correct size please see layout example for reference
·        

You will need to send 2 separate files, one for cover laid out as stated above and one for text/interior of the book 
·        

Make sure that the text is in single page format (not individual files for each page- or pages not in spreads).
·        

Text files should also be laid out in the correct size of the book (such as 8.5 x 11 page size but a requested print size of 6 x 9- these files would be rejected)
·        

Proofs are an additional $0.50 per page for digital, and will be generated if specified after signed estimate is submitted with payment,  and has passed our preflight check
·        

for digital proofs, average time is 5 business days from acceptance by our preflight check
·        

Average print times as follows for digital Runs
      Perfect Bound black interior       10 Business DaysPerfect Bound 4 Color                   
      15 Business Days
      Mechanical Bound                          
      15-20 Business Days
      Printed Case Black interior          
      15-20 Business Days
      Printed Case 4 Color                      
      20-25 Business Days
      Stamped + Embossed Case       
      20-25 Bus Days (standard cloth/foil)
      Stamped + Embossed with spot gloss or buy out-  add 10 bus days (30-35 bus. days)
  For more detailed information and additional specification please consult our premedia pages at our Bookmasters website                                                                                
Page and Cover Layout

https://www.bookmasters.com/pmlayout.html

Premedia Instructions

http://www.bookmasters.com/premedia.html

Posted: Tue Mar 12th, 2013 08:26 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Joe Kelley
Administrator

Mana: 
bear,

Do you know what all those requirements mean?

I got the pricing for a small booklet sized prototype as:

Quantity: 10
Trim size: 4 3/4 X 7
Page count: 172

Cover:  4-color process on 12pt. C1S with gloss UV coating
Binding:  Perfect

Estimate:   $88.35

Do you know if the Word Program can be used to adjust the book to those specifications required for printing by Print Masters?

I'll try working on each Specification one by one.

Starting with:

any images contained within the book need to be at least 150 dpi or higher (300 DPI is preferable) unless it is line art then the highest DPI you can send is the best. 

Line art should be saved at 600 DPI.
·  

I think it may also be a good idea to try another Printer Company to see if I can get more help from the competition.

Posted: Fri Mar 22nd, 2013 05:59 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Joe Kelley
Administrator

Mana: 
The Price at Book Masters is very competitive and so this is where I am going to focus more attention.

Goals:

Properly Format the Title Page
Title Page

Properly Format the text pages
Print Media

Rewrite the URL links in the present book document as print versions of link references.

Create a reference or index page with a CR code on that index page

Reply to Book Masters with the submission, seeking further instructions.

Note 1:
I resent an estimate on the estimate web page link, moving to a more standard book size.                                                                            

Posted: Fri Apr 5th, 2013 06:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Joe Kelley
Administrator

Mana: 

Attached is a finished (as far as I know) Book cover file for my first book effort, it is constructed according to the specifications sent to me.

Please let me know if I understood the instructions well enough to complete an acceptable book cover file. I can then move from that chore to the text file chore.

Joe

Posted: Fri Apr 5th, 2013 07:15 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
bear

Mana: 
Once again, I didn't realize you were talking to me over here. I am sorry. Do you still have questions...or did your "publisher" leave you high and dry to figure it out on your own? I really am sorry. I feel terrible to not have answered your question. I will try to do better to see if you are talking to me over here.

Posted: Tue Apr 9th, 2013 03:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Joe Kelley
Administrator

Mana: 

Dear Joe,
I just got your initial report back- you are good.  There was only one error found and that was CMYK conversion.  It converted automatically, so you are ready to start the interior (believe it or not the cover is usually where most people fail.)

Progress on setting up Word includes finding

Mirror:

Activate the Page Layout tab of the ribbon.
Click Margins and select Mirrored from the dropdown menu.
Or click the little arrow in the lower right corner of the Page Setup group on the ribbon.
Select Mirrored from the Multiple Pages dropdown.

Posted: Mon Apr 22nd, 2013 05:11 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
Joe Kelley
Administrator

Mana: 
Need 14 pages to add to 13 introductory pages and 147 content pages to make 174 pages total according to Bookmasters quote.

13 + 147 = 160

174 - 160 = 14

This need for more information offered in the book onto those blank pages inspires me to begin linking the past examples of The Liberty Day Challenge count down.

Look here:

Liberty Day Challenge Archive Links

Posted: Thu Apr 25th, 2013 05:33 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
Joe Kelley
Administrator

Mana: 
Links used to format endnotes (endnotes are at the end of a document rather than footnotes which appear at the bottom of each page.)
http://www.aresearchguide.com/7footnot.html...
http://www.ehow.com/how_5180669_format-endnotes-properly.html

(letter from printer with bear notes in black under each section)
Dear Joe,
I am somewhat confused as to what you are asking me for. Here are the specifications that are generally given for setting up your files. I will include a layout guide to help you discern the measurements for your cover, as well as an example of an actual cover that is laid out correctly. We do not offer a template that you can just drag a photo and drop it in and it will create if for you. What you send is what we print. I may have sent this previously but I will attempt to go through and try to explain them (as it is also what is on the web page)- production is not my area of expertise but I will try to muddle through as best as I am able. I will explain in red:
SPECS:
· You will need to make sure that the fonts are embedded (usually during creating/saving as press quality pdf stage) take a look at this website for help on embedding fonts. Embedding is important as if you do not "lock" the fonts in and freeze them by embedding, when we reopen to print the text and images can reflow, causing all kinds of chaos.
http://www.bc.edu/content/dam/files/libraries/pdf/embed-fonts.pdf
 INFO FROM bear: As far as embedding Font I needed to go to file, options, save, then under the "preserve fidelity when sharing this document" make sure that "embed the fonts in the file" is checked, then click OK. (I am not 100% sure fonts all saved as embed as when I go to PDF file and do File, Properties and then click the Font Tab, a bunch of different font styles show up. Some do not show as embedded, however, right under that font style the same style will be listed again and it will say embedded next to it. The only font that does not appear this way is Arial and I am not sure why. I have keyed down thru the whole WORD document and it is all Times New Roman except for the page numbers which I believe are Calibri and that font also has an embedded designation in the PDF file.

To convert to PDF do File, Save As, then under "save as type" pick PDF
· any images contained within the book need to be at least 150 dpi or higher (300 DPI is preferable) unless it is line art then the highest DPI you can send is the best. Line art should be saved at 600 DPI. This is also known as resolution. Instead of saving resolution in pixels, convert it to DPI, remember pixel and DPI do not necessarily translate to one another. Don't use pictures offline, web settings for images are 75DPI- this is way too low to print, and will cause it to be severely grainy and distorted. Here is an answer from an thread online
https://www.createspace.com/en/community/message/140748
 INFO FROM bear: I am pretty sure I have actual CR Code sized to 1 inch. I am not sure if you can see a ruler on the side and top of your word document.

You can ruler by selecting "View" tab
then under the "Show" section
make sure the "Ruler" box is checked

Then I was able to scroll the page up to the ruler so that the CR Code was right underneath the ruler and was able to drag the corner of the CR imaage inward till I sized it to fit one inch according to the Ruler.
 A few more things I figured out after reading the notes in red and the links concerning dpi size of QR Code. I needed to go to file, options, advanced, then under the "image, size, quality" category, I needed to select "do not compress images in file" then click OK before saving the document with the new QR code so that Word would not change dpi to save space. (At least that was instructions for 2007 Word so I did that for 2010 Word.)
 · Margins- At least 0.375" margins from text to the edge of the page (top, bottom, left, right) unless there is a bleed. These are a simple fix- go into page set up and input .5 all around this will guarantee they are correct, this is also the time you set your page size. Remember the bind is always the far right number, so 5.5 x 8.5 is actually 8.5" high and 5.5" wide.
INFO FROM bear: Joe, I think you did this part?
· For bleeds (pictures or graphics that run to the very edge or off the page) you will need to have 0.125" past the trim edge. You'll need a bleed if you are having anything that is to run to the very most edge, usually a graphic, background illustration, or picture/illustration. Children's picture books are a great example as most pictures/illustrations go to the edge of the page. For trimming purposes printers ask you to bleed that image out past the trim edge.
https://www.expresscards.com.au/wp_super_faq/how-do-i-add-bleed-to-my-microsoft-word-file
basically they are telling you to set your page up for .125" larger than the trim size you are printing in, shave your margins down (so add that same .125"= .625" margins instead of .50")
· If the spine is less than 0.125" there can be no text on the spine. I have attached a layout measurement guide for you to see the bulk- the bulk is the width of the spine
· Gutter: .50” from Gutter- some go as high as .75” usually the only publishers concerned with bleeds are those that have spreads- a picture that runs both pages continuously. I have no experience with setting of the gutter, but production recommended a .50" repeat on the right page bind side, of .50" of the Left page bind side, in case the during the binding parts of the picture doesn't go missing as it is now trapped in the binding.
http://word.tips.net/T000172_Understanding_the_Gutter_Margin.html
· Covers need to be one file, front-spine-back laid out in the correct size please see layout example for reference- see attachment
http://www.fonerbooks.com/print.htm
your cover is a perfect bound, or soft cover, it will need to contain a bleed for trimming purposes
· You will need to send 2 separate files, one for cover laid out as stated above and one for text/interior of the book Look at the attachment- everything is one big rectangle, not pieces. Pieces translate to 105.00/hr. if we can put it together- sometimes it isn't possible but for us to see they are still going to charge you for their time.
· Make sure that the text is in single page format (not individual files for each page- or pages not in spreads).
that means, one page after the other, it would be set up similar to how you view your book in the word processing format- page 2 is below page 1 as you scroll down, and so forth
INFO FROM bear: I believe we set the book up this way at the beginning.
· Text files should also be laid out in the correct size of the book (such as 8.5 x 11 page size but a requested print size of 6 x 9- these files would be rejected)
INFO FROM bear: Not sure about this.
· Proofs are an additional $0.50 per page for digital, and will be generated if specified after signed estimate is submitted with payment, and has passed our preflight check
· for digital proofs, average time is 5 business days from acceptance by our preflight check
· Average print times as follows for digital Runs

Current time is 12:15 am  
Power Independence > Book > Book Resources > Printing Links Top

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems