The Trapped Flea Principle - John Taylor Gatto - AERO - 2005
Weapons of Mass Instruction:
1. Trapped Flee, beat them into obedience, keep them from their natural independence
2. Horse sense, isolate them from the wisdom of the herd
3. Short Answer Tests, destructive to the minds capacity to think in terms of wholes
4. Constant stimulation (not the wisdom of the herd, instead a counterfeit) remove the capacity to concentrate
5. Misdirection, keep people from seeing bodies of data or insight that will change their lives: example fact based history of Gun Boat "Diplomacy" Perry/Japan
Time 1:26 or so...
What Gatto calls "overproduction" is what I call managed scarcity.
"There is about 90 times the amount of capital [purchasing power] circulating planet Earth at this moment as there is all the goods available for purchase and all the services available for hire, that means that if everybody simultaneously said "I'm going to go to the movies. I'm going to buy a car. I'm going to buy a home. I'm going to send my kid to college." No they wouldn't. One point one percent of them would find a service or product, all the rest, the money would be as it was in King Midas, there would be nothing to buy."