View single post by bear
 Posted: Wed Apr 17th, 2013 06:27 pm
PM Quote Reply Full Topic
bear

Mana: 
perceive seems a little different than conjecture in that conjecture is maybe more like a theory or hypothesis where as a perception is more like something that someone might believe based upon their own personal imput. I may perceive that you are mad at me for some reason or another, or I might perceive that is cold outside because it is cloudy and windy.

I cannot really know whether you are mad at me unless you confess the fact. (just an example, I don't really think you are mad at me.)

I really wont know that it is cold outside until I walk outside and find that it is indeed cold (to me). Today I found out after I left the house that I had dressed too warmly based upon the view outside my window and the early morning temperature.

Monday however, I did not dress warmly enough because the day before had been absolutely beautiful and I expected the same weather Monday. I was cold all day because my perception was wrong.

Perception does not have to be wrong. Perception could also be correct. I perceive that I will not be sitting here much longer. Time will tell whether my perception is correct or not.

Now Joe and I go round and round on definitions, so you might ask Joe what his perception of the word perception is. We just had a conversation about the word pretending. The way he thinks about the word pretending had never crossed my mind before. And I probably still would not use that word the way he does. However, I can see what he means now.

I still don't have the answer to the number quiz you have given me. I am tempted to ask the Amish folk I am with, but I figure if I can't get it on my own, I will give you the privilege of disclosing the answer, if you are so inclined. So far the only thing I can see about

2 + 2 = 11 is more along the line of integer placement. i.e. 2 and 2 are 2 integers 1 and 1 are two integers.

(I don't even know if i am using the term integer correctly, but I am waiting for the Amish to finish an appointment so I am not going to take the time to look the word up to see if I am using it right. I think an integer is basically just a number.)

I hope you enjoyed this "nothing note" from an American and that it was not a total waste of your time :)